The last 8 characters of VIN define Year, manufacturer plant and serial (sequential) number of the vehicle. The last four characters shall be numeric. The 10th position of the Vehicle Identification Number is a YEAR CODE.
How do I tell what year my motorcycle is?
How to Find Motorcycle Years by VIN Numbers
- Locate the VIN on the motorcycle or on the motorcycle’s title.
- Starting from the left-hand side of the sequence, count to the 10th character in the 17 character sequence. Note this character. For example, in the sequence 1KMH78978XA89B328, the 10th character is the letter X.
How do you tell the year of a motorcycle by the Vin?
The 10th character in the 17-character VIN represents the vehicle model-year.
- This standard applies to vehicles built in or after 1981. …
- Note: VINs do not include the letters I (i), O (o), Q (q), U (u) or Z (z), or the number 0, so that they will not be confused with similar looking numbers/letters.
How do I identify my motorcycle?
Find and Decode Your VIN
VINs are typically stamped directly into the metal of the motorcycle’s frame, but some models also include a VIN plate. Look for the VIN on your motorcycle’s steering neck, located behind the headlight or the front number plate. All vehicles are required to have a VIN.
Are motorcycle VIN numbers 17 digits?
About the VIN
A VIN is typically 17 digits long, although vehicles manufactured prior to 1981 may have fewer digits, depending on the manufacturer and model. If you know the bike is newer than 1981 and you don’t have 17 digits, it is possible you simply copied the number down wrong.
What year is M in a VIN number?
The 10th Digit VIN Chart
What does the 8th digit in a VIN number mean?
Vehicle Description Section
The fourth through eighth digits describe your vehicle’s model, body type, restraint system, transmission type, and engine code. The ninth digit is the check digit, which is used to detect fraudulent VINs.
How do you decode a motorcycle VIN number?
Harley-Davidson VIN Decoder
- First character: Country code.
- Second character: Manufacturer code.
- Third character: Vehicle type (motorcycles are typically “1” or “A”)
- Characters four through nine: Identifies engine type, engine size, and model with the ninth character as an accuracy check.
- Tenth character: Year code.
How do you decode a VIN number?
How to decode a VIN?
- Digits 1 through 3 combined is the WMI, (World Manufacturer Identifier).
- Digits 4 through 8 represent the vehicle descriptor section.
- Digit 9 is a check digit.
- Digits 10 through 17 is the Vehicle Identifier Section.
- The 11th digit is the manufacturer’s plant code.
What is motorcycle serial number?
Most bicycle serial numbers are located under the bottom bracket where the two pedal cranks come together (1). Simply turn your bike upside down and record the number. Check for the serial number on the headset at the front of the bike (2) or the rear stays (3).
What is motorcycle number?
Unlike a VIN that is placed in several locations around a bike, an engine number will be stamped or engraved in one spot on the engine block. Some make and models will vary, but generally, a motorcycle engine number can be found on or directly above the crankcase, and is made up of around nine characters.
How many letters and numbers are in a VIN number on a motorcycle?
Whether it’s associated with a motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, or car, each VIN is 17 characters long, and alpha-numeric, which means that they use the numbers 0 through 9 and the letters A through Z.