After much anticipation and several delays, the Devil Anse trail system opened to the public in May, 2016. Named after William Anderson Hatfield also known as Devil Anse, the trail system has a rich connection to the Hatfield & McCoy Feud which took place in this area along the Tug Fork River. Visitors to this system can legally ride from the trails to sites across the Tug Fork River into Kentucky such as the Paw Paw Tree site or the Hog Trail location; Or, visit the Hatfield Cemetery just off the trail in Sarah Ann, WV. The trailhead for the Devil Anse is also located in downtown Matewan, WV, near the historic site of the Matewan Massacre. This trail system most notably acts as the connector trail between the Buffalo Mountain trail system and the Rockhouse trail system.
The Devil Anse offers…….
* Approximately 50 miles of trail and an approved road along a section of the King Coal Highway US 52 between Matewan and Gilbert, WV
* Combined with the Buffalo Mountain and Rockhouse trails, the three trail system network offers over 200 plus miles of riding adventure
* Is primarily recommended for intermediate and advance level trail riders who wish to ride between the three trail systems
* Offers trails for novice riders as well as single track enthusiasts that ride in the direction of and combined with the Buffalo Mountain trails
* Trails open to user groups of dirt bikes, SxS, and ATVs.
* Lodging options to choose from in various categories, group sizes and price ranges.
* A staffed trailhead in Matewan, WV with a large parking lot and restrooms for day visitors
* Trail user permits are available at the trailhead from 9 AM to 2 PM each day of the week
* Amenities such as food, gas, lodging, souvenirs and more are easily accessible near the trailhead in Matewan
Visitors to this trails should also…..
* Use caution when attempting to ride multiple trail systems in a single day as all Hatfield-McCoy trails are closed to the public after dark
* Note that this trail is not currently open to the 4×4 user group
Matewan, WV 25678
GPS: Lat 37.622351 Long -82.166936Get Directions
Trail Updates for Wednesday, Jan 29
You're good to go! There are no updates for the Devil Anse trail system today.
See an issue on the Devil Anse Trail System? Call 1-833-RIDE-HMT and let us know.
Giving You the Power to Own the Trails
Ride Hatfield-McCoy is proud to endorse the RIDE COMMAND™ App! This trails app allows you to track friends on the trails, record your favorite rides, find points of interest, and more. Learn More
Devil Anse: Difficulty BreakdownClick here for an explanation of these difficulty ratings.
- 2+ acre parking lot
- Staffed trailhead
- On-site restrooms
- Permit and Merchandise Sales
Permits are required to access the Devil Anse Trail System. Permits are valid for a full calendar year and provide access to all Hatfield-McCoy Trail systems.